Robert's Rules of Order Revised
by General Henry M. Robert
1915 Version, Public Domain
[Editor's Note: The copyright on the original 1915 version has
expired. However, the modifications and enhancements to this work are Copyright
© 1996 Constitution Society.
Permission is hereby granted to any person to copy and use this material on a
non-profit basis with attribution, and in particular, with the retention of
links to the site of the Constitution Society or its successors on the World
Wide Web. One of the modifications made to the original document is the
substitution for page numbers of section and paragraph numbers, using the format
mm:nn, where mm is the section number and nn the
paragraph number. Footnotes have been numbered and moved to the end of sections.
The Order of Precedence of Motions and the Table of Rules Relating to Motions
have also been reformatted and revised to adapt them to the needs of an online
Table of Contents
- Order of Precedence of Motions. (OPM)
- Table of Rules Relating to Motions.
- Preface. (PRE)
- Introduction. (INT)
- Parliamentary Law (PAR)
- Plan of the Work (WRK)
- Definitions (DEF)
- Part I.- Rules of Order.
- Art. I.- How Business is Conducted in
- 1. Introduction of Business
- 2. What Precedes Debate
- 3. Obtaining the Floor
- 4. Motions and Resolutions
- 5. Seconding Motions
- 6. Stating the Question
- 7. Debate
- 8. Secondary Motions
- 9. Putting the Question and Announcing
- 10. Proper Motions to Use to Accomplish
- Art. II.- General Classification of
- 11. Main or Principal Motions
- 12. Subsidiary Motions
- 13. Incidental Motions
- 14. Privileged Motions
- 15. Some Main and Unclassified
- Art. III.- Privileged Motions.
- 16. Fix the Time to which the Assembly
- 17. Adjourn
- 18. Take a Recess
- 19. Questions of Privilege
- 20. General and Special Orders and a
the Orders of the Day
- Art. IV.- Incidental Motions.
- 21. Questions of Order and Appeal
- 22. Suspension of the Rules
- 23. Objection to the Consideration of a
- 24. Division of a Question, and
by Paragraph or Seriatim
- 25. Division of the Assembly, and
relating to Methods of Voting, or to Closing or Reopening the Polls
- 26. Motions relating to Methods of
to Closing or to Reopening Nominations
- 27. Requests growing out of Business
or that has just been pending, as, a Parliamentary Inquiry, a Request for
Information, for Leave to Withdraw a Motion to Read Papers, to be Excused from a
Duty, or for any other Privilege
- Art. V.- Subsidiary Motions.
- 28. Lay on the Table
- 29. The Previous Question
- 30. Limit or Extend Limits of
- 31. Postpone Definitely, or to a Certain
- 32. Commit or Refer, or Recommit
- 33. Amend
- 34. Postpone Indefinitely
- Art. VI.- Some Main and Unclassified
- 35. Take from the Table
- 36. Reconsider
- 37. Rescind
- 38. Renewal of a Motion
- 39. Ratify
- 40. Dilatory, Absurd, or Frivolous
- 41. Call of the House
- Art. VII.- Debate.
- 42. Debate
- 43. Decorum in Debate
- 44. Closing and Preventing Debate
- 45. Principles of Debate and Undebatable
- Art. VIII.- Vote.
- 46. Voting
- 47. Votes that are Null and Void even if
- 48. Motions requiring more than a
- Art. IX.- Committees and Boards.
- 49. Committees Classified
- 50. Boards of Managers, etc., and
- 51. Ex-Officio Members of Boards and
- 52. Committees, Special and
- 53. Reception of Reports
- 54. Adoption or Acceptance of
- 55. Committee of the Whole
- 56. As if in Committee of the Whole
- 57. Informal
- Art. X.- The Officers and the Minutes.
- 58. Chairman or President
- 59. Secretary or Clerk
- 60. The Minutes
- 61. Executive Secretary
- 62. Treasurer
- Art. XI.- Miscellaneous.
- 63. Session
- 64. Quorum
- 65. Order of Business
- 66. Nominations and Elections
- 67. Constitutions, By-laws, Rules of
and Standing Rules
- 68. Amendments of Constitutions,
Rules of Order
- Part II.- Organization, Meetings, and Legal Rights of Assemblies.
- Art. XII.- Organization and Meetings.
- 69. An Occasional or Mass Meeting
- (a) Organization
- (b) Adoption of Resolutions
- (c) Committee to draft
- (d) Semi-Permanent Mass
- 70. A Permanent Society.
- (a) First Meeting
- (b) Second Meeting
- (c) Regular Meeting
- 71. Meeting of a Convention.
- (a) An Organized Convention
- (b) A Convention not yet
- Art. XIII.- Legal Rights of Assemblies and
of Their Members.
- 72. Right of an Assembly to Punish its
- 73. Right of an Assembly to Eject any
from its Place of Meeting
- 74. Rights of Ecclesiastical
- 75. Trial of Members of
- Plan for Study of Parliamentary Law.
- Lesson Outlines (LES)
- Index (NDX)
Summaries of Robert's Rules are available here,
Past discussions on the RROR mailing list (before May 2002) are available here.
Current discussions on the RROR mailing list are available here.
Please email Scott Gray, to report
technical problems with this page.
Constitution Society Home Page
Scott Gray's Home Page